Friends of Reservoirs (FOR) is a tax-deductible non-profit foundation dedicated to protecting and/or restoring fisheries habitat in reservoir systems nationwide.
Friends of Reservoirs was established in 2010. Our goal is to promote the protection, restoration, and enhancement of habitat for fish and other aquatic species in reservoir systems. We are committed to integrating watershed conservation, in-reservoir management, and the management of downstream flows to attain more holistic and coherent strategies for addressing aquatic habitat impairment issues in reservoir systems.
Reservoirs are inextricable parts of our natural landscapes. Constructed to meet a variety of human needs, reservoirs impact almost every major river system in the United States, affecting to various degrees habitat for fish and other aquatic species. Conservation of reservoir systems is essential to maintaining the quality of life for the American people. Reservoirs provide essential infrastructure services, from storage and delivery of water to generation of power to the reduction of flood risk in downstream communities. Reservoirs are focal points of recreation for tens of millions of Americans, from anglers to birdwatchers, and they generate tens of billions of dollars for local economies and national recreational industries.
- Stands up for the mission and goals of the Reservoir Fisheries Habitat Strategic Plan
- Believes the best reservoir management is good watershed management
- Stands for good science and best management practices in conservation and restoration of fish habitat reservoirs in reservoir systems
- Sees healthy reservoirs to be essential to American prosperity and American's quality of life
- Supports local conservation of fish habitat in reservoirs and reservoir systems
- Promotes broad-based partnerships as the most effective tool for reservoir fisheries conservation
- Seeks to improve public understanding and awareness of reservoir issues and encourage public policies that promote the health of aquatic species
- Strives to make the tools of reservoir fisheries conservation accessible and affordable to everyone
Become a Contributing Sponsor
Become a part of projects that need your support.